Friday, June 3, 2016

When I Served My Country (contd.)

12.

"Corper, follow me!". I was startled as the voice by the doorway met me staring in wonder at the sleeping figure before me. Nonetheless, I stood up and hopped after the container from which the command had emerged. It was a carefully packed confederation of bones, held together by bandage-like ligaments that served the purpose of flesh. The only difference between the neck, the back and the buttocks was that the latest advertised two covered Akara balls, which moved mechanically like pistons of an old generator, in turns. The pink gown and a green headtie suggested a feminine creature.
"Na me de take care of Corpers for council", the creature continued, still moving forward like a robot. "I wan give you accommodation. Before that...", then she turned around, "...your acceptance fee na 1000 Naira." I quickly produced my wallet, just to avoid looking at the construction which stood in for a human face. To worsen my feeling, my hand came in contact with her's in the process of paying the fee. At that point, I was worried it had rather fallen on the hard blocked half-wall on the corridor...but the corridor moved; it was her palm!
The 7 minutes walk through a bush-track terminated in a "haunted-house". I stopped behind her and looked ahead in surprise. The question as to the status of occupation of the house ahead went right back to my throat as a slim beautiful young lady with an NYSC cap emerged from the block and smiled at the figure ahead of me! The contrast was terrible.
"Uduak", the figure called out. I exhaled for my neighbor was from Akwa Ibom. My excitement quickly reversed when the door to my supposed room popped open. Uduak had strolled far off, out of sight. The room was just enough to contain only the books the Bull carried on my behalf! It had a kitchen wash-hand sink attached to the wall. Opposite the sink, lay 2 tubers of yam, 8 cooking pots, a kettle, a stove, some old newspapers and, quite awkwardly, a pillow!

                                  The rattle of bones behind
 alerted me just on time to see the figure turn and walk away. At this point, I knew I wasn't going to do my NYSC...but I hoped I could.
My Bull crawled through the track and stared at where his commander was to abide. First, I needed to keep pouring water in that room until it spoke. i quickly changed into work clothings, put on my canvas for a trek in search of water. A little stroll towards the other end of the track revealed a slope. Beneath the slope lay a road that had endured much more seasons than the colonial masters expected it to. I kept on down the track, smoothing my fingers through the edges on my NYSC Identity card inside my pocket...security issues.
Suddenly, the temperature of the late morning hurried downwards. The sound of an untuned radio gushed into my ears. Then, I stood face to face with a tributary of the Atlantic Ocean...on the other end, was a flag of Cameroon!

No comments:

Post a Comment