Friday, June 3, 2016

When I Served My Country (contd...)

2.

Once again, I touched my biro. It responded with the same enthusiasm as usual. The Sun quietly showed itself as if we were competing. The motorcyclists' park boomed with figures of brownish-looking men, who manned motorcycles with colours to match same. Thoughts flowed through my mind and my stomach roared. Then, I realised that, this land was no friend of mine because the nearest “food-vendor” was kneeling beside a motorcyclist, who was busy turning the soup pot on the floor with an item that looked to me like a broom!

I strode through the narrow dusty path that led to the untarred road commonly described by the community as “tile road”. My mind was heavy, my time rushed to God-knows-where. Annoyance crept in, from waiting almost endlessly for the “god” called LI to approve my casual leave. The tooth-filled monkey-like being had demanded for money, until he looked through my application and saw “Barr.” appended to my name.

The wait by the “tile road” became unbearable, but was suppressed by thoughts of spending another night where I just stepped out from. I prayed for a “rocket” to propel me to planet earth, since, truly, this place was away from planet earth, even farther from common civilization.

Then, the rocket flew in from no where; it was a simple machine: pieces of rusted metal held together by glue that dripped from all over it’s joints. The exhaust followed it some metres away, releasing some dark vapour, that most certainly depleted the ozone without warning. It’s door flew open involuntarily, long before the wreckage came to a halt. My time piece clicked 6pm and I knew I was home bound.

The moment I slammed the door for the sixth time before it stuck, I discovered that I was sitting on a wooden stool; it gave me memories of my grand ma’s kitchen.

The scrap screamed like a dog in orgasm and finally began my journey back to earth…But I discovered, too, that something was not right…

No comments:

Post a Comment