Friday, June 3, 2016

The Diary of an Idiot

The warmth of the evening sun caressed my skin while my shirt lay a stretch away from my reach. Shadows cast by birds floating in the evening sky kept flipping my attention from my thoughts. Grasshoppers dove across the grass like meteors in the late night sky.

I had made it a culture to visit this serene area every evening, sit on the grass and allow my thoughts to take me on a trip. This eve became particularly interesting since the temperature seemed to be lower than usualand the sun seemed to be in a hurry...westward.

My gaze stayed fixed on this very beautifully designed piece of rope that lay a few meters away from me. Its perfect camouflage with the green grass coupled with a romantic reflection of the evening sun slowed down my heart beats.

A lizard quickly dashed across the grass in pursuit of a large brown and yellow grasshopper. As it continued its pursuit almost past the rope, one end of it darted upwards in blinding speed. The move seemed to have crippled the lizard, or rather, grappled it, as the lizard lay struggling to get off its grip. The rope laid still.

Curiously, i rose slowly, towards the rope. It was a snake! Just before i could comprehend the whole scenario, a hawk descended from the heavens and picked the snake from its comfort. My gaze rose with the successful hunter in excitement, as its meal now fought for its freedom. The lizard, now free, crawled feebly out of sight; so did the hawk, glidding joyfully away with its meal.

I simply smiled at nature's food chain drama then i stood up and strolled away; picking my shirt from where it lay and wearing it as i walked my way out of the dancing grass.

The stench of sweat mixed with dirt oozed freely from the shirt of the motorcyclist that conveyed me home. I hurriedly paid him off as we stopped just in front of the "face-me-i-face-you" block of apartments i stayed. My fingers stumbled for my keys in my trousers' pockets.

As i turned to walk towards my room, i saw the hooded figure...i heard the bang of a gun shot. A flash emerged from the pistol he pointed at me. The taste of blood filled my lips...then, darkness followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment