Thursday, June 9, 2016

Stripped ~ 1 (Series)


Just sitting in my birthday gift to myself, a Mercedes Benz GLE and with a Chris Aire engagement ring for the love of my life in my right hand. Tonight I’m taking Tomi out and putting this ring on her finger. It is long overdue. You don’t want to know, trust me.
“Akin you better drive with your body, spirit and soul in this traffic because I will not take it lightly with you if I see any scratch or dent on this car. You better face the road and stop smiling like a goat that just got his lips shaved off”.

It’s my 28th birthday and no one sent gifts, cakes or even greetings my way. Even Tomi my girlfriend of 14 years and all my friends. Wow, does everyone just hate me over night. I hope this is not the beginning of my Job experience “shut up O2, you take things too personal. Just get home man”. Well I just can’t wait to get this ring on her finger.

Oh sorry for not introducing myself, this birthday thing is getting to me. Osasere Osagie is my name, my friends call me O2 because of my initials.  An accomplished young entrepreneur is who I am, don’t make that face jooor, I am pretty much accomplished. My team and I are responsible for “Group Study” and “Living waters” besides I made it to “Forbes 30 under 30 individuals changing the Africa”. I’m not usually this proud but a man’s got to blow his trumpet sometimes. Wait I didn’t tell you Tomi calls me her tall glass of dark chocolate milkshake, yea I guess it’s expected when you are six feet and five inches with a sexy body. I am not vain. I just love me.

For some reason, with all my accomplishments I still feel empty. There’s a void that needs to be filled. A lot of times I pretend not to know what it is, that makes me feel this way. Trying to get rid of this feeling, means going to look for that missing slate and that is something my pride and anger won’t let me do. It is just hard. Today will be a significant day in my life. These kind of days are to be shared with friends and family. I dread days like this. No no no no wait, you don’t understand. Days like this remind me that I have no family left in the world. My parents separated when I was 14 years old, my Dad passed on ages ago and I have no clue if my mum is still alive, all my grandparents kicked the bucket too. Growing up as a kid in Lagos, Nigeria was so much fun. Dad taught me how to play soccer. Every Saturday morning, we’d drive to the beach to play soccer, then have breakfast while enjoying the sea breeze and watch the waves. My dad was my mentor, my role model. On some Saturdays mum would come with us, she was my biggest fan. When I joined the soccer team in school, she would come watch me, she never missed any of my games. My mum was my biggest cheerleader and the best chef. My mum was Ibibio, if you know women from that area you’ll know they are a natural when it comes to cooking. There was no soup she couldn’t make, was it Afang, Atama abak, Ikon, Edikai nkong name it. Every soup was stuffed with a variety of sea food and well roasted goat meat. I really miss those days.

Finally home. This is my Victoria Island home, it is a beautiful five bedroom duplex, with a three bedroom boys quarters or guest house like Tomi always calls it. It has a basketball court, a pool area, a gym and a garden. Babe seems to thinks it’s a big property but I think it’s just ok.

Everywhere is so quiet, did Tomi leave me already or did something happen, different thoughts going through my head. Walking into the living room, it is pitch-black and quiet but I feel the presence of humans in the room. I switch on the lights and then voices just start singing happy birthday. I almost ran out but looking across the room I knew everyone in there. Tomi just stood there smiling at me like the angel that she is.  I was close to tears but I did a good job fighting it. My closest friends were all present. I hugged Tomi so tight. The party began, I didn’t even want to get out of my work clothes. There was a lot of food. Dj Sagie my friend, was there to deliver good music. I danced my ass off. Trust me I got moves from Azonto to Shoki to Nae Nae, I’ve got it all.

After what seemed like hours the music faded out and my all-time favourite person in the world had something to say about me and my journey so far. Tomi’s words got me all emotional and brought tears to my eyes. We’ve been best friends before we decided to start dating 14 years ago. So she has been there through it all, in plenty and scarce she stayed put. She believed in me when I didn’t even believe in myself. When she was done with her speech, it was my turn to go all John Legend on her.  This wasn’t the plan but it was more perfect that what I had planned, after adorning her with the crown of every beautiful adjective, I couldn’t bring myself to ask her the life changing question “will you marry me?” After my unprepared speech, we danced a little more before our guests began to leave one after the other, till everyone was gone and it was just us two.

Babe made me go up for a shower, she said ‘by the time you are done with bathing get in your pyjamas and come down your birthday gift will be right here waiting for you.’ Filled with so much anxiety, I hurriedly had my bath got into one of my old Chelsea jerseys and a pair of pyjama pants. I ran down the stairs like an excited kid who can’t wait to unwrap his present. Tomi was there in the living room sitting with a woman. I was confused as to who this was, or what she was doing here, is she the gift? Could Tomi be considering a threesome just after I proposed to her, well let’s see. Walking towards the living room, babe gave me that flashy smile from across the room. This made me more uncomfortable. The lady will not turn her face towards me, so I walked up to her closely. Then she raised her head and I almost had a heart attack, WHAT! I fell to the ground...


Uduakobong Etukudo writes from Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment