Friday, June 3, 2016

When I Served My Country (contd...)

5.

The chill breeze of midnight air caressed my flesh. My eyelids rose reluctantly, giving the boys beneath a faint view of total darkness. With my spine leaned on an electric pole, it was easy to decipher that I was in the wrong place. I pulled my mobile phone, flipped the screen and met the horror I had once feared; it was 1:42am, and I had dozed off by the roadside in Odukpani junction!
I rose in the confusion as if to take a decision. The once busy road had turned to a graveyard. Memories of zombies and wild animals crept surreptitiously through my clouded mind.

I could recall, faintly, that a bus conductor had told me to wait for the next bus…I guess I was still waiting when sleep visited. My khaki trousers covered my lower being from the cold. I looked around and found a companion. Oh, it was a huge log of wood, I noticed as I walked closer. Smart enough, I formed a second log beside the original one and cuddled the cold wood like a newly purchased teddy. As I turned, my small diary tickled my buttocks from my hind pockets.

Just as sleep took another stroll around my eyelids, two lights shone from behind my sleeping companion. Hoarse voices followed them. I fumbled around for my NYSC Identity card, and found it on my neck. Unfortunately, before I could get it unhung, a whistle went off. Footsteps sneaked up to me from all directions. I quietly arose; hands in the air in an “I surrender” fashion. This didn’t help because dogs don’t understand these signals. I stood face to face with two hunters, struggling to call off their hunting dogs. I lifted my now weightless bag and vanished as far as my feeble feet could carry me.


As fast as I thought I was, the pack growled right behind me. Just as I was about giving up something went wrong: the ground beneath my feet had given way and I floated mid-air for about 14.52 seconds. Then followed a loud thud, then two others…the dark vision became a semi-trance, and I passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment