Friday, June 3, 2016

When I Served My Country (contd...)

7.

Time check; 7.07am. Mind check; semi-insane! With no wallet, no money and the fact that I had not even reached home, the demon inside my mobile phone understood that I was about to disobey some ruthless order from hell.
The priest had noticed my confusion and had simply walked away. He, probably had said something about his house just a stone throw away, but, the relationship between my mind and my other physical senses had become too remote for me to have heard him.
I simply threw my bag on my head, since one of my shoulders had failed to readjust itself, and strode to the roadside; not having any particular plan in mind.
The mild sun increased the temperature beneath the afro-style hair that graced my hair. Most of my colleagues never knew that I was once too broke to barb, so I made a style out of it. I kept strolling until I got right back to Odukpani junction. Of course, I intended to visit the pit that had dislocated my left shoulder while swallowing me. To my surprise, a construction vehicle with the inscription "JB" was romancing the ground smoothly. My heartbeat suddenly increased, probably because I knew I had lost all my earnings.
Lost in thoughts, face starring at the floor beneath, sweat caressing my small face, I almost didn't hear the loud thud! A petrol tanker had just fallen across the road to Obubra and the explosion produced thick dark flames. It's conductor, I learnt, was stuck within. My thoughts went across the barrier, but my body may not...at least not in two days time.
Of course the devil read my mind. A similar demon made my phone to vibrate. This time, the demon was so powerful, it's entrance shook some glass particles off the broken screen of my phone. This time, the devil himself had sent it and had appended his i
nsignia vis:"...NO EXCUSE SHALL BE ENTERTAINED FOR ABSENCE. LI".

No comments:

Post a Comment